School Dress Code
ECES School Dress Code
Cheatham County School Board Policy 6.310
Students shall dress and groom in a clean, neat and modest manner so as not to distract or interfere with the operation of the school.
More specific guidelines appropriate for each level of school (elementary, middle, junior high and senior high) may be developed. Principals, faculty members and students shall be involved in the development of each appropriate set of guidelines.
When a student is attired in a manner which is likely to cause disruption or interference with the operation of the school, the principal shall take appropriate action, which may include suspension and/or expulsion.
East Cheatham Elementary:
Common sense dictates that students should not dress or groom themselves to the extreme in any direction. Excesses in attire, grooming, hairstyle, cosmetics, jewelry, and accessories tend to draw attention to the individual and thus distract from learning, which is the main purpose of school. Oftentimes, it is not so much what is worn as when, where, or how it is worn. Therefore, certain rules have been established concerning student appearance. Any or all of them may be waived at the discretion of the principal for good and sufficient reasons including, but not limited to: school "spirit" days/weeks, special "dress-up/down" occasions, appropriate field trips, approved rehearsal/practice sessions, etc.
Those rules are as follows:
- Shorts, skirts, neat fitting jeans, and dresses are the appropriate dress for girls. Skirts, dresses, and shorts must come below the fingertips when arms are extended straight down. Length for all garments applies to both boys and girls.
- Jeans, pants, or shorts must be clean, neat, and fit appropriately for all students. Jeans, pants or shorts shall not be worn that have holes in them, which expose the skin.
- Shoes must be worn by all students.
- There shall be no halters, tank tops, spaghetti straps or exposure of midriff. Sleeve-less shirts must have at least a dollars width strap, with no wide arm openings.
- A T-shirt must be worn under net or mesh fabric.
- Hats are not to be worn in the school.
- No Sagging! The belt line of all garments must fall at the hips. Clothing designed to be worn as undergarments will not be worn as outerwear. Undergarments should not be visible.
- No excessively baggy cloths may be worn to school.
- Coats and backpacks must be removed once the student enters the school building. Coats and backpacks are to be stored in the locker or area designated by the teacher during the day.
- Students are not allowed to wear any gang or cult style clothing, colors, symbols, jewelry, hair color, makeup, etc. See School Rules.
- T-shirts cannot display tobacco or alcohol products, vulgar language or symbols, pictures that go against our Character Counts Program (ex: Pro-Wrestling Tees, Budweiser frogs, Pokemon, etc.).
P.E. RULE: All students must have tennis shoes for P.E. class (wear or bring them).